Fall is the season of change. Changing leaves, changing weather and changing lives as kids go back to school and we gear up for the holidays. Fall is that great part of the year between the heat of summer and the cold of winter. Crisp air, changing colors and the promise of change. Some people use the time like squirrels to store up for the winter and prepare for hibernation. However this is not the case in Sedona! Fall is as busy a time as ever and is jammed packed with exciting and interesting things to do. No time to rest on your laurels here. Just take a look at this long list of all the local happenings:
First we have to talk about the gorgeous colors fall brings in the Verde Valley. It is truly magical! The peek time for leaf turning is late September through mid-October. A leaf-peeping trip during this time guarantees you will see the changing colors. Imagine glorious gold and incredible crimson, just two of the colors you will see as you take a scenic drive. Yellows of all hues mixed with the green pine trees makes for a stunning contrast. Reds that mix with deep shades of orange, even browns look like a picture postcard here. If you are looking for great photo opportunities or the perfect viewing place, tone place to take a spin though is Oak Creek Canyon on Highway 89A north. As you head towards Flagstaff you will autumn in all its absolute glory. You will not regret it!
Speaking of leaf-peeping, The Verde Canyon Railroad offers a Sedona Fall Colors Tour for the entire month of October! Yep, you read that correctly! From October 1 all the way through October 31 you can take the Verde Canyon Railroad on a fabulous Fall Color Tour. Check it-want to enjoy the best show of autumn in all of Arizona? Then sit back and relax in their comfortable loveseats or in a bistro chair and gaze out the panoramic windows on the train and let yourself be washed in the fall colors of nature that are bursting out all along the Verde River. Zip along at a good clip but not too fast so you won’t miss a thing. Let someone else do the driving, or conducting in case so you can focus on what you see out the window while you enjoy a seasonal cocktail especially crafted for this train.
You can find the Verde Canyon Railroad at 300 North Broadway, Clarkdale, AZ 86324
If you are one of us who believes that you should not just let summer go quietly into that good night, then you absolutely want to check out the Ales on Rails Beer Tasting Tour. The Verde Canyon Railroad comes through once again with an original event. If you like beer and are looking for an Oktoberfest type of event then this will far exceed your expectations! Ales on Rails happens EVERY Thursday through Sunday in October. Believe it! A whole month of long weekends plus beer on a train!
The party starts on the depot patio at 11:00am each Thursday through Sunday. In the spirit of a true Oktoberfest it kicks off with a German luncheon on sausages, sauerkraut, potato salad, pretzels and strudel that will leave you wondering if you are in Berlin, Munich or the Verde Valley as you listen to the polka music they provide.
Be prepared to hop on the train at 1:00pm and continue the party with a huge selection of specialty beers including Verde Canyon Railroad’s own private-labeled brews, crafted in Sedona by the renowned Oak Creek Brewery. No Ale on the Rails is complete without local brews and they offer rich-crafted ales, lagers, porters and stouts. Sit back with a local craft beer and watch the leaves go by.
Do you believe in Magic? No, I am not talking about the 1960’s hit song but real Magic. If so or even if you are just a little curious, come to the Magic Festival October 2-4 in Sedona. As you may know Sedona just happens to be one of the most magical places on planet earth!
This family friendly celebration of wonder is being produced by Jay Scott Berry and is going to provide the whole range of the ancient art of magic. All the main events will take place in and around The Sedona Creative Life Center which has magical views of its own right outside the windows. You will certainly want to see the Dream Team of international and local stars they have lined up throughout the whole weekend. Reservations are first come first serve to don’t wait and hope for someone to work some magic and make a sold out event have an opening! For a limited time, all-inclusive Golden Tickets for Magicians are just $149 Adults and $99 under 16.
Here are just a few event highlights for you:
- Othello: Royal Shakespeare Company October 4 @ 3:00 pm – 6:30 pm. Mary D. Fisher Theatre, 20134 West Highway 89A Sedona. Come on out and find out if you are to be or not to be as The Royal Shakespeare Company’s extraordinary new production of “Othello” makes its Sedona big-screen debut.
- Susannah Martin Jazz Trio. October 4 @ 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Sound Bites Grill, 101 North State Route 89A Sedona. Be sure to check out the vocal stylings of Vocalist Susannah Martin who is known for her scintillating vocal renderings of jazz, Brazilian bossa nova and classic pop tunes.
- Fort Verde Days is being celebrated October 9 @ 8:00 am – October 11 @ 5:00 pm at Fort Verde State Historic Park, 125 E. Hollamon Camp Verde. The park celebrates with a flag-raising and lowering ceremony, living history presentations with the Buffalo Soldiers and Indian Wars period re-enactors, special presentations, a fashion show, cavalry drills and a vintage baseball game. Take a trip into the past, while celebrating Fort Verde Days.
- The Sedona Arts Festival, the oldest and largest arts festival in the Verde Valley will be held on October 10 – October 11 will be held at Sedona Red Rock High School, 995 Upper Red Rock Loop Road, Sedona. This incredible art festival features 125 artists from across the United States. They will be showcasing their eclectic and exquisite work with Sedona’s unique red rocks as their backdrop. Here onlookers can enjoy a mixed variety of artistic creations including Ceramics, Mixed Media, Fiber Art, Glass, Photography, Drawing, Sculpture, Jewelry, Wood, Metal, Painting.
- October 17th brings two more art events that any art lover would want to experience: The Sedona Main Street Paint Out is the kick-off event for Sedona Arts Center’s Annual Plein Air Festival. The Paint Out offers the chance to see all the participating and nationally recognized Plein Air Artists. in one place at one time . Watch as they are challenged to create a painting from start to finish in 2 ½ hours, using only a subject in their surroundings along the sidewalks and plazas in Uptown and the Main Street District of Sedona.You can also use the 17th to participate in the kick off of the Sedona Arts Center Plein Air Festival. This is just the start of a week-long celebration of Sedona’s extraordinary beauty as seen and celebrated through the eyes and talent of some of the finest painters in the country. Sedona Plein Air Festival runs Oct 17 – 24, and this year the theme is “Speakeasy Salon” with a complete stage/bar/jazz night club environment created in the historical “Theatre Studio” at the Sedona Arts Center.
- October 24. If you are and animal lover and an art lover, Red Rose Inspiration for Animals Sedona Arts and Crafts Show is a wonderful opportunity to combine the two.Because the Art and Craft Show for Red Rose Inspiration for Animals To Benefit Animal Rescue is a great cause! This event takes place at the parking lot of Redrock Precision Motors which is located at 1425 West Hwy 89A, West Sedona.
- October 31. Halloween is on a Saturday this year which means many families may be taking a weekend trip. Uptown Sedona offers Safe & Fun Trick or Treat on Halloween October 31 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. This is the time when Sedona Main Street Uptown Merchants can give back and welcome all those in costume to visit their storefronts along Main Street in Uptown for some tasty treats! Let the merchants show you their good will as they provide a safe and fun Halloween celebration. This free community event is coordinated by Sedona Main Street Program.
This is just a quick glimpse of all that is happening in the Verde Valley as we coast into Fall. For a more events or information just click here: http://sedona-arizona-vacations.com/sedona-verde-valley-event-calendar/list/.
Enjoy your October and stay tuned for how we will welcome November!